Having to avoid nightshades is frankly annoying. Back in my pre-Hashimotos days when I was running 20-30 miles per week and cutting whole bags of jalapeños onto every meal I also enjoyed a nice fat burger with mushrooms, blue cheese and hot chips (French fries).
These days I look for subs everywhere for the spice and the mouthfeel and I have fallen in drool with Japanese sweet potato fries air fried with coconut oil, Himalayan salt, black pepper and this amazing, blood cleansing spice: Manjistha.
This little known spice is a heavy hitter in the herbal sphere – and boasts of so many benefits it is hard to count. It’s slightly bitter flavor reminds me of paprika, so coupled with the right peppercorns I can almost recreate those smoky spicy flavors I enjoy.
Manjistha is a supreme Lymphatic tonic. It has a long history of being used in India to treat lymphatic disorders. Research has shown its efficacy as a blood, kidney and liver detoxifier, antioxidant, muscle relaxer, anti-seizure, and anti-anxiety remedy. The herb has also been shown to be an immune stimulant; one trial demonstrated an increase in white blood cells by 151%. We tend to think of it mostly as a lymphatic drainer and an anti-inflammatory for the musculoskeletal and gastrointestinal systems as well as an anti-anxiety herb.
Any spice or herb that helps with lymphatic drainage is a winner for me. If you’ve ever woken up in the morning with puffy eyes or swollen joints, that is lymph congestion. Your lymph is a clear fluid that travels throughout every organ of your body while you sleep and mops up toxins. So my favorite trick to use in the morning to help flush those toxins is to drink 30-40oz of filtered water straight away before coffee, tea, breakfast, supplements etc. It’s the healthiest and most inexpensive thing you can do for your health aside from getting sunshine (vitamin D) and walking barefoot (grounding)!
You can find Manjistha powder in my Wellevate Dispensary as well as health food stores.
Try it and let me know what you think!
Sweet Potato Fries with Manjistha
- Air Fryer Oven or Large Cast Iron Pan
- 1-2 Japanese Sweet Potatoes
- 1 tbsp liquid coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp manjistha spice
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan pink or Celtic sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black peppercorn blend of choice I like Tellicherry, smoked, Tasmanian pepperberries and Grains of Paradise
- Halve the sweet potatoes lengthwise, lie open face down and cut into strips at desired thickness. (I like mine about .75 centimeter)
- Turn them on their side again and cut strips into fries.
- Coat with liquid coconut oil* (I like to use a glass spray bottle for this, like Sally’s organics)
- Sprinkle with Manjistha, salt and black pepper of choice and toss together.
- Place in air fryer rack of Breville Smart Oven Air. (You can do this in a standard air fryer in smaller batches or place them all in a hot cast iron pan in a preheated oven)
- Airfry at 360°F - 375°F for 25 minutes.