Gosh how I love pumpkin pie… and missed it dearly when I realized how destructive sugar was to my system. Then Keto came onto the scene and there were alternatives to sugar after years of abstaining! It was very exciting for a little while… Now…. this is an updated post… and looking back to November of 2020 I was extremely excited to eat this pie when just a year before it had caused me physical pain. My gut was a mess and so any vegetable whatsoever, as well as pumpkin flour… gave me some serious jip. I got away with 4 pieces of asparagus on Thanksgiving Day in 2019 and that was after a month and a half of some serious mindful gut healing.
I thought I would update this recipe with one fo my favorite adaptogenic boosters, gelatinized red Maca, as it has a gorgeous malted flavor when cooked, and it goes oh so well with pumpkin. It’ll carry a boost of clean energy as well so it’s all around enjoyable! My preferred Maca comes from The Maca Team, as it is clean, responsibly sourced and considerably better than any other brand I’ve tried. Women should opt for red, men for black and if you’re just looking for energy without the hormone balancing and reproductive benefits *wink* then feel free to save some pennies and grab yellow. But for me… I enjoy some hormone balance!
Here is my sweet and easy pumpkin pie recipe for the AIP crowd. Serve it with homemade paleo ice cream and enjoy!
Paleo Pumpkin Pie (Vegan & Keto Friendly)
- Tart pan with removable bottom
Coconut Flour Crust
- 2 konjac eggs 1 tsp in 1/2 cup cold water
- 1 cup coconut flour 110grams
- 1/4 tsp monk leave out for savory
- 1 Tbsp coconut kefir
- 1 Tbsp Lemon juice
- 1/2 cup 110 grams solid coconut oil
- 1 1/2 cups full fat coconut milk
- 3/4 cup pumpkin puree not pumpkin pie filling
- 1/2 tsp monk fruit powder can forego Stevia and just use 1 tsp pure monk fruit
- 4 scoops or 1 dash stevia 2 dashes/ 1/8 tsp for double batch
- 1 tbsp maca (optional, but yummy)
- 2-3 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp maple extract
- 2-3 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg Mace for strict AIP
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- pinch salt
- 1/2 tsp allspice leave out if on strict AIP
- 1/2 tsp agar agar powder
For the Pie Crust:
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Make konjac eggs
- In a bowl combine coconut flour, monk, salt, and coconut oil
- Add the konjac egg and mix with a pastry cutter until crumbly and then form into a ball. Add ice cold water if needed. Chill for 20 minutes.
- Form into pie or tart pan and bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove and let cool.
For the Filling:
- Whisk together everything except the agar agar in a pot over low to medium heat until smooth and completely mixed. Taste. Add spices, maple extract and vanilla. Alternatively you can whisk this vigorously over heat.
- Whisk in the agar agar powder and keep whisking vigorously until completely smooth.
- Keep stirring, the pumpkin mixture should start bubbling. Turn the heat down and let it cook for another 2-3 minutes, stirring often. (Agar needs about 5 minutes total over heat)
- Remove from heat and continue whisking.
- Pour into your prepared pie crust and let it chill overnight. Serve with whipped coconut cream or coconut vanilla ice cream. If making custards, pour into your cups and let chill for a few hours.