This is an easy pie filling that requires a quick simmer on the stove for the filling and then some chill time in the fridge. You can make it into a panna cotta if you like with a bit of a tweak in the amount of agar agar you use. For the shell, see Coconut Flour Pie Crust.
Vegan Pumpkin Pie Custard/ Panna Cotta
- Pie Tart
- Oven if baking crust
- 1 1/2 cups full fat coconut milk
- 3/4 cup pumpkin puree not pumpkin pie filling
- 1/2 tsp monk fruit powder
- 4 scoops or 1 dash stevia 2 dashes/ 1/8 tsp for double batch (optional)
- 2-3 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp maple extract
- 2-3 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg Mace for strict AIP
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp of allspice leave out if on strict AIP
For custard consistency:
- 1/2 tsp agar agar powder
For panna cotta:
- 1 – 1 1/4 tsp agar agar powder
- Whisk together everything except the agar agar in a pot over low to medium heat until smooth and completely mixed. Taste. Add spices, maple extract and vanilla. Alternatively you can whisk this vigorously over heat.
- Whisk in the agar agar powder and keep whisking vigorously until completely smooth.
- Keep stirring, the pumpkin mixture should start bubbling. Turn the heat down and let it cook for another 2-3 minutes, stirring often. (Agar needs about 5 minutes total over heat)
- Remove from heat and continue whisking.
- Pour into your prepared pie crust and let it chill overnight. Serve with whipped coconut cream or coconut kefir yogurt with vanilla. If making custards, pour into your cups and let chill for a few hours. If making panna cotta, pour into molds and let chill overnight. You can loosen them by running a knife around the inside perimeter of the dish, set a plate inverted over the top and then flip back over.