I have a green smoothie every day. I found I wasn’t able to eat greens without pain for a few months and full carnivore was too hard for me so I started making up green juice that I could freeze for the week so I wasn’t using precious kids homework time to make a complicated smoothie. I always add the coconut kefir right before I drink it so it doesn’t ferment all those greens… because coconut (and kefir) has a tendency go a little crazy eating up all those sugars and produce something almost rancid tasting. This mama doesn’t want to drink pickle juice.
I make a week’s worth of smoothies at a time, minus the coconut kefir and freeze them for the week. I take one out to defrost in the morning and it’s ready by midday. That is when I pour in coconut kefir and I have a supercharged probiotic pick me up with all my green needs.
I posted this on Instagram a while back but after a conversation with a friend in Colorado this morning I felt it might be helpful. I will go back and add links but availability might be scarce at the moment. The important things to look for in a green blend are that it contains supergreens like wheatgrass, barleygrass, spirulina and chlorella (the latter two hold off on if you have an autoimmune disease and haven’t detoxed yet… you don’t want to backlog your liver!) Look for a probiotic blend if you aren’t using kefir, and look for things like nootropic mushrooms (immunity mushrooms: lion’s mane, reishi, chaga, turkey tail, etc) I put cranberries and lime juice in mine but you might like yours with berries a whole lot better. I have to keep my sugars low. On that note, make sure whatever blend you have has NO SUGAR. Sugar compromises your immune system, people!! A teaspoon can shut you down for an hour! Below is everything I put in mine, but I don’t always use all of those. I will usually put in Camu Camu (a vitamin C booster), amla or lucuma or if I’m feeling really exhausted, all three.
Green Immune Support AIP Superfood Smoothie
- High Powered blender
- Pint Canning Jars
- Leakproof Lids
For The Blender:
- 4-6 cups Quality non toxic water
- 7 tsp Wheatgrass juice powder
- 7 tsp Barleygrass juice powder
- 3-4 tsp Spirulina
- 3.4 tsp Chlorella
- 1-2 tbsp Matcha optional
- 1 tbsp Lions mane mushroom
- 1 tbsp Reishi or Nootropic Immunity Mushroom blend
- 1/2 cup Cranberries or other low sugar berries
- 1/2-1 cup Lime juice
- 1/2 cup Aloe inner leaf juice (optional)
- 1 tbsp Elderberry liquid (NO SUGAR)
- 6 tbsp MCT Oil or MCT oil powder (optional)
- 3 tbsp lemon flavored cod liver oil (optional, can use flax oil)
- 1 tbsp Camu Camu powder
- 6 tbsp Red & Black Maca blend
- 1 tbsp Ashwaganda powder (or 1-2 teaspoons liquid concentrate)
- 6 tbsp Lucuma Powder optional
- 2 tbsp Amla Powder optional
Add when you are ready to drink:
- 1 cup coconut kefir, milk kefir, or other probiotic kefir hemp kefir, almond milk kefir, very low sugar water kefir and kombucha are all good options.
- Place all the ingredients EXCEPT for the kefir/kombucha in the blender and blend. I usually top it off with water to make sure it is at about 8 cups total.
- Pour about a cup into pint ball jars for the week and freeze, reserving the one for today.
- Pour about a cup of kefir into the ready to drink jar, screw on a lid tightly, and freeze.
Quality non toxic water
Store bought kefir OR Coconut kefir (save for last)
Wheatgrass juice powder
Barleygrass juice powder
Lions mane mushroom
Reishi mushroom (or a mix with other nootropic mushrooms)
Cranberries or cranberry juice powder
Lime juice or lime powder
Aloe inner leaf juice
MCT oil powder
Red Maca & Black Maca gelatinized (or a blend)