This is an everyday staple for me. It is gloriously delicious (if you like coconut) and smooth and thick as greek yogurt. I use milk kefir grains to culture coconut milk (always BPA free, either Aroy-D or Whole Foods 365 as they work best). It is fantastic by itself or sprinkled with a little superfood blend like forever beautiful. I’ll sometimes have it with sprouted pumpkin seeds part of the month and tahini the other part, according to seed cycling practices (for balancing hormones) and like to have it with a bit of moon balance as well. Sometimes with some lily’s chocolate chips and frozen raspberries. It boasts some powerful probiotics, which we all need right now with Coronavirus out to attack the guts and lungs. And it’s yummy. Did I mention it’s yummy?
Coconut Kefir Yogurt
- Nylon mesh sieve 5.5"
- Stainless steel funnel 5.5"
- Silicone spatula
- Wide mouth quart jar & bpa free lid
- 2 wide mouth pint jars or 4 wide mouth half pint jars with bpa free lids
- 2 cans Whole Foods 365 Organic Coconut Milk The canned, NOT the drinking with the gums and carageenan.
- 1 tbsp Milk kefir grains
- Rinse dairy milk or kefir off of kefir grains with non-chlorinated, filtered water in a nylon mesh sieve. (Aluminum and other metals will weaken the grains)
- Place grains into bottom of quart jar.
- Pour two cans of coconut milk over the grains, leaving about an inch of room at the top for expansion.
- Cover with a BPA free lid and leave for 12-18 hours until it is effervescent and tart. You should see a bit of separation at the bottom of the jar.
- Tighten lid, invert a couple times and then slowly open, being careful not to let it explode.
- Pour through the sieve into the wide mouth jars, cover with lids and put in the fridge to set for 3-4 hours.